Wednesday, April 21, 2010

We Love Weather

Talking about the weather might be considered the universally most boring topic, but for achieving such a status, it sure seems to dominate a great deal of our thoughts and actions. For example, we check the weather to know what to wear. It dictates our clothing and accessories (Do I need an umbrella? If I take an umbrella, I'll need to take my bigger purse to fit my umbrella. Should I wear my raincoat? How about galoshes?). We pray about it all the time (Thanks for the sunshine, please send away the rain, please send the rain to Africa, etc.). It controls our moods (I'm sad because it's cloudy. I'm depressed because I have Seasonal Affective Disorder. I don't want to work because it's sunny.). It dominates world news (floods, droughts, heatwaves, winter storms).

So why do people deny wanting to talk about it and act like it is boring?

I think maybe people should stop denying their extreme interest in the weather and start really talking about it freely.

Perhaps we talk about the weather because it is one of the only things to which everyone can universally relate and have some assurance of knowledge. Maybe the problem is that the world is too dull to talk about anything other than the weather.

So, decide you like talking about it and embrace this conviction, or educate yourself (and others) and then talk about something else.

Like pop culture and celebrity gossip.

1 comment:

  1. It's a balmy 65 here. Supposed to Thunderstorm Saturday and Sunday. Which entirely ruins my plans for sunbathing in the park all weekend.

    Kim Kardashian and Reggie Bush totally broke up! OMG!

    ReplyDelete