Saturday, April 17, 2010

Golden Arches

I don't remember when I first saw the commercial for it, but as soon as I heard about a machine that mapped your foot and prescribed a specialized insert for your shoe, I wanted to try it. It's from Dr. Scholl's. You can learn about it here. I was just so curious about what it would have to say about my feet. And so, when I saw one of these "Foot Mapping" centers at my local Wal-Mart, I couldn't wait to hop on - despite fears of germs voiced by my two shopping companions.

I removed my shoes, just as the screen told me to, and stepped on to the rather squishy surface. I followed the prompts on the screen, and a nice little "map" of my feet came up. It was obvious from the image on the screen that I have incredibly high arches. There was a nice circle for each heel, and an oval for the ball of each foot, and a nice little circle for each toe - but there was no arch to be seen on my foot map. Before I was able to proceed to the next step (which is lifting each leg in turn), the screen asked me to make sure that I had taken off my shoes because the pressure I was exerting was so weird, with absolutely no arch touching the ground. I assured the machine that I had, in fact, removed my shoes. It then gave me the reading that I have very high arches and very high foot pressure. It told me which inserts I should buy. They were fifty dollars. I did not buy them.

It was still fun, though, affirming something I had known all along. As long as you do not have an extreme fear of fungus, I would recommend this activity the next time you're in Wal-Mart.

1 comment:

  1. I've been dying to try this myself! I want it to recommend a pedicure and a massage.

    ReplyDelete